Monday, June 16, 2008

Missing Home

Thankfully, I am feeling much better now :-) I'm so glad that stomach bugs usually don't last too long!

I'm not sure if it was being sick or something else that triggered it, but today, I've really missed home (meaning Va). Don't get me wrong--I really do like Louisville. In fact, Jose and I often joke that if it were about 3-5 hrs from my family, instead of 9-10 hrs from them, it would be perfect. I think that's part of why I liked living in Charlottesville so much. My parents were close enough that I could see them just for the day if I wanted, but far enough away that we weren't always in each other's business. hahaha I guess that Jose is a bit more used to living farther from his family than I am, but I can tell that he, too, has been homesick lately. He's been listening to salsa music a bit more, has gone to the cuban bakery here (yes, there is one) twice in the past week (and it's a bit far out for us), and has been talking a lot about his good old days in Florida. I guess it all just boils down to the fact that we're still trying to find where we fit in here...Don't get me wrong--we're not hermits and we are making friends here and there, but we're still searching for our "home."

Sometimes, I wonder if we made a mistake moving here, but I realize that it really is just because I miss my family and friends back home! Anybody want to come visit? hahahaha

Since I slept so much during the day, I'm not quite sleepy enough for bed, yet, so I guess I'll do another email check and maybe surf the net a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luz! Elo and I were talking about coming to visit you. When is the best time to do it? I miss you guys! Maybe I'll move to Louisville so we can have our own pachangas (?). Tell Jose to find me a job there and I'll go ;-)

Sarah said...

I'd go, but with the airlines as crazy as they are, it would take a lot of swimming to make it there! I know how it is to be far from home and missing it. Hang in there and allow yourself to drive out of the way for Cuban pasteles as many times as you want. The homesickness will ease a little bit in time. It'll always be there a little bit, but soon you'll be loving Louisville again!