Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Big 29!

This past weekend, I turned the big 29! I think that Jose expected me to have some sort of existential crisis or something because he kept asking me how it felt to now be 29. Honestly, it feels no different than 28 :-) I have to say that getting closer to my thirties doesn't bother me in the least. I was thinking about it, and although I have enjoyed my 20's, I'm really looking forward to my 30's. My twenties were spent always looking ahead and trying to "get someplace." First, there was doing well in undergrad to get into a good medical school. Then, there was the business of getting through medical school to get into a good residency program. After that, doing well in residency to get a good job. Along the way, there were the joys and heartaches involved in finding a husband, getting pregnant, surviving an infant...Yes, my 20's have been good to me, but I feel like there is so much more to look forward to. I know there will be plenty of worries in my 30's, but I feel more secure that I can handle them. I also feel much more secure in who I am as a person as well. All of the experiences that I have had have really helped to shape me into the person I am today. Although I still have that inner "I want people to like me," I am much more comfortable with the fact that not everyone will like me, nor will I like everyone that I encounter, and that's OKAY! I also have become more comfortable with setting limits--for myself and for others. I don't always do the best job, but I do try to take care of myself as best as I can. And although I have only been married for 4 years, I am learning quickly that some days, loving my spouse is easier than other days, but I can always choose how I react to these feelings.

So, 29 isn't so bad. I'm grateful for every year that I have under my belt, and am looking forward to many more...

But, getting back to my birthday--The weather could not have been any nicer. It was sunny all weekend and just a bit cool, requiring just a light jacket, with a soft breeze. I was treated to a nice breakfast and lunch out that day. After months of trying to figure out which one we wanted, we finally bought a double stroller. I was able to play with Enrique, we went on a family walk, and had a yummy dessert. I had friends and family call/email that day, which made me feel very special :-) On Sunday, Jose and I hired a babysitter and went out to a wonderful dinner--just the two of us. It was so nice to be able to spend that time together. It might seem a bit boring to some people, but it was exactly what I wanted--for us to spend time together as a family. And to eat pie :-)

2 comments:

monica said...

Happy belated birthday!! I sent you a Yahoo greeting, but thinking back I forgot to put my name on it. I'm very forgetful in my old age. LOL!! I'm glad you had a great day.

Mandy said...

:)