Friday, August 28, 2009

Baseball!

Last night, we attended a baseball game. We have a minor league team here: the Riverbats. The Field is actually really nice--we've gone a few times before and the boys have had a good time. This game we attended with some folks from our church. I can't say that I was feeling very well--I've caught some sort of cold and I really wasn't feeling well last night. Alas, we tried to give away my ticket, but no one could take it on such short notice. Jose talked about going by himself, but then that would've meant that 3 tickets weren't being used. So, I took my robitussin, got dressed, and we all attended the game.

What I remember most about last night was not that the riverbats were losing, or that I was feeling pretty crappy; what I remember most is how much Enrique enjoyed the game. Last night, he seemed to leave all traces of autism behind and was just a kid. He was excited from the moment we got into our seats. He waved to the folks from our church group, which was a bit odd for him in the sense that they were folks we hadn't met before, but he waved and said hi as if they had been old friends of ours. He ate his hot dog with such gusto, and even went after Jose's cheesesteak. He waved his arms "Go Bats" and hi fived and clapped when they made good plays. He seemed really into the game and it was so awesome to watch. He had a smile from ear to ear the whole night. He even put on Jose's visor, first with the brim in the front, then on the side, then backwards. At about the 4th inning, he grabbed my hand and let me to the playground that they have there--he and Moises played a ton and just had a great time. On the way back to the car, he pointed repeatedly to the half moon and smiled proudly "the moon." Yes, last night he was just an ordinary kid enjoying a baseball game. And I just smiled proudly back :-)

No comments: