I have to share a true story of something that happened to me at work. I found it so hilarious afterwards, that I had to share it with my co-workers, who now refer to it as "the kitty cat incident."
I was seeing a patient who comes in with her two daughters. One daughter is 3 1/2 and the other is about 18 months or so. Anyhow, the mom is my actual patient. Both daughters are quite active, the 3 yr old especially. She spends the whole time darting around the room with her hands in the biohazard waste basket, pulling out the stirrups we use for the pap smear exams, knocking on the door, trying to climb into the sink--no lie. She does not stop for a single second. So, when I know that I am going to see mom, I stand outside the door for a minute thinking of how I will try to also distract her daughter so that mom and I can actually talk with a moment's peace. On this particular day, I was doing just that. When I opened the door to the room, full of hope that I had figured out how to entertain little Miss, she came flying at my and lifted my skirt. Now, since I always anticipate the worst, I was able to stop her from lifting my skirt completely, and only a few inches of my legs above my knees had been exposed. I sat down, now holding on to my skirt, and began talking to mom. Little Miss continued to dart around the room (she had thrown me off of my game, I couldn't corral her!) until finally she interrupted my conversation with mom with the following:
while tugging at my skirt
Little Miss: "Hey, lady, how come your kitty cat isn't covered?"
to which I replied,
Luz: "Sweety, don't you worry. My kitty cat is completely covered."
Mom finally chimed in:
Mom: "One day she saw me get out of the shower and she asked me what it was. I told her it was my kitty cat and that it should always be covered."
Needless to say, the rest of the visit was cut a bit short. I didn't realize how funny the encounter actually was until after I left the room. I closed the door to my office and had a good laugh before tending to the other rooms of patients that were waiting for me!
When I told the nurses what had happened later, we all had a good laugh. Muriel, one of the nurses replied, "so, now we know what to get you from now on. For christmas, a kitty cat. For your birthday, a kitty cat. Kitty cat stickers. Yes, we're gonna have some fun with this!"
Ah...priceless.
1 comment:
I told this story to one of my RAs who is a nurse and she thought it was hilarious!!
Post a Comment