Oh, my goodness. Has it really almost been a full month since I last posted on this blog? I cannot believe it! As you can probably tell by my lack of writing, things have been pretty hectic in the Fernandez household, lately. There have been ups and downs, but mostly ups, thankfully. The biggest down I guess was our first ear infection with Moises about 2 weeks ago. Poor thing--he ran a fever, had cough, nasal congestion, and was extremely fussy, especially at night. I knew that once he didn't really want to breastfeed much, we were in trouble. I took him to our family doctor, and she took one look in his ears and said, "oh year, he's got an ear infection." That evening, we started the antibiotic, as well as gave him tylenol to help with the discomfort and fever, and by the next morning, he was doing much better. Unfortunately, the antibiotic gave him awful diarrhea, which gave him a pretty bad diaper rash, but we were able to tackle that pretty well, too. He is now off antibiotics and both ear and bottom are back to normal! yeah!
We have also since celebrated our first Kentucky Derby here in Louisville. We did not go to the actual race, but we did have some friends over for an impromptu party and watched it on tv. Overall, I think everyone had a good time, but we were really saddened by the injury and subsequent death of Eight Belles, the only philly in the race and the 2nd place winner. We decided at the last minute to have folks over, so I didn't really plan much in terms of activities, but one of my friends and I were coming up with all kinds of ideas of what we could have done. I think next year, we may co-host a party, and we already have plans for an ugliest hat competition! hahahahaha
Work is going well. It has gotten very busy since I started, so I don't really have time to get bored. For the most part, I like the patients that I'm seeing. Of course, there are always a few who give you a hard time, but they do seem to be the minority. Some of my patients really do have a lot going on in their lives--most of it stressful--and when they leave, I always hope that my at least being a listening ear has provided them some relief and comfort. As with any job, I always hope that I'm "doing the right thing," but unfortunately, for some patients, there are many barriers to their looking after their health. Some financial, some emotional, some physical, some have to do with the healthcare system as a whole. I hope that by at least being present with them, we can tackle these issues together.
No comments:
Post a Comment