Thursday, March 20, 2008

"Am I Crazy?"

Tomorrow, I will have officially been working for 2 weeks actually seeing patients. I can't believe it! In some ways, it feels like I hadn't even stopped working; in others, I learn so many new things in a day that it seems I will never get the hang of things! Everyone at work has been so nice and accomodating. I think that they are all really happy to finally have someone else in the office. The doctor who worked there before me has already been gone for 1 1/2 years, and they have had a series of temporary doctors before me, some of which worked out better than others (or so I have heard). I think they are happy to have someone there who hopefully will be there for at least a few years! I am so grateful because they are starting me out slowly...I have not seen any more than 8 patients in a half day. My goal is 20 patients a day, but from what I hear, most providers see quite a bit more than that. It has been nice to feel needed and respected in a different way. I do miss my boys...but we have our other days together, and the evenings when work. The hours are really very good, so I can't complain.

The other day, I had 3 out of the 5 patients I saw in the afternoon ask me the following question, " Am I crazy?" thankfully, they were asking me this about things they were feeling that we completely legitimate sounding, so I could say in confidence, "No, you're not crazy." It was amazing how those few words really lifted a huge boulder off of each of their shoulders. I commented this to the nurses afterwards, and we talked about how much power our words and actions as healthcare providers really have. I then joked, "soon enough, I'll be coming out of the rooms and asking you all if I am crazy."

To which the nurses replied: "honey, when that happens, you will have been fully initiated to the family health centers!!"

hahaha

No comments: